The Carl & Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation recognizes the power of the arts to challenge and shift perceptions, spark creativity, and connect people across cultures. We lend and exhibit artworks from our collection and provide grants to support innovative individuals and projects in our collection areas (Digital & Electronic Art, Post-War Painting & Sculpture, Art of the Spanish Americas, and Japanese Bamboo).
In Chicago, we have a by-appointment exhibition space in West Town dedicated to presenting works from the Foundation’s art collection.
In Santa Fe, we have a public exhibition space, Art House, where we have seasonal rotations of artworks from our collection and host related educational programming.
The Thoma Art Foundation has an immediate opening for a full-time Public Relations and Communications Specialist to create, implement, and oversee the Foundation’s communications including developing content and maintaining a consistent presence on our various social media channels, writing and distributing press releases, website management, and email communications. This position will also play a key role in instituting best practices for internal communications.
A successful candidate will have a passion for public relations, as creating and building new relationships is crucial to growing the foundation’s reach. We are seeking candidates with refined writing skills, media-savvy and a dynamic outgoing personality who enjoy and excel at connecting with the public in writing, on the phone, and in person. The ideal candidate moves proficiently between executing the nuts-and-bolts of our communications plan and strategic projects with our curators, collections team and program officers.
This position requires meticulous documentation of press contacts, meetings and call notes, social media and website tracking. The Public Relations and Communications Specialist must be strategic and creative thinking with continual outreach to press, journalists and the leaders at major art institutions with the intention of extending invitations to openings, sharing news of our current activities, new programs, and acquisitions. The outreach strategy needs to generate new ideas to promote the foundation outside of traditional ad placement and sending press releases.
- Proactively cultivate and steward press relationships in Chicago, Santa Fe, and nationally
- Network with art, cultural and philanthropic communities to foster relationships and potential partnerships
- Fine-tune, manage and continually grow to our press lists
- Write and distribute press materials, including press releases and images
- Respond to press inquiries and provide art tours when requested
- Monitor and provide media coverage and web traffic reports
- Manage Foundation’s website and social media channels, including content creation
- Proactively manage Foundation-wide contact database
- Compose and send Foundation’s monthly e-newsletter and regular e-blasts
- Create copy for advertisements and in-house exhibition collateral (labels and brochures) while also working with outside graphic designer for larger design projects (graphic design skills a significant plus)
- Update Foundation information on local and national listings
- Develop advertising strategy related to exhibition and Foundation endeavors
- Direct special media projects related to Foundation’s grant-making activity
- Support Program Office with grantee communication for cross-promotion and Foundation recognition
- Oversee Foundation branding materials and style guide
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or a related field
- Five years of public relations and marketing experience
- Knowledge and passion about art and art history
- Strong grasp of current PR practices and methodologies with a proven track record of successful editorial press placements
- Self-motivated with the ability to execute on plans independent of direction
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Strong understanding of best practices in digital marketing and social media
- Creativity and confidence to propose new ideas
- Excellent attention to detail
- Flexibility and willingness to help wherever needed
- Demonstrated acumen with WordPress, Basecamp, MailChimp, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Reading and writing fluency in Spanish a significant plus
Location & Hours
This position is based in Santa Fe with office hours, Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm.
Please use the form below to apply. Please, no phone calls or emails. Application includes:
- Cover letter (500 words or fewer) stating your relevant experience, expertise, and interest
- Current CV or résumé
- Names, titles, relationship and contact information of two (2) academic or professional references
- Up to three (3) relevant writing samples (ex. press releases, communications plan, or published article)