The Carl & Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation accepts proposals from 501(c)(3) organizations for exhibitions, publications, symposia, lectures, and academic programs that provide promising new insights into the fields of art in which we collect: Digital & Electronic Art, Spanish Colonial, Post-War Painting & Sculpture, and Japanese Bamboo. The Foundation requires 12 months’ notice before the start of a project.
The Letter of Inquiry (LOI) is the first step in the Thoma Foundation grant process. Please complete and submit this form if you are interested in applying for a grant to support a project related to the Foundation’s areas of interest. The Foundation will review these applications twice a year, in April and October. LOI deadlines for the two cycles are March 29 (for April review) and September 28 (for October review).
To apply for a grant, the Foundation initially requests an online Letter of Inquiry (LOI). If the Foundation is interested in a project, we will request a Complete Proposal.
- Letter of Inquiry submitted to the Foundation through the Thoma Foundation Applicant Portal.
- Letters of Inquiry are reviewed by the Thoma Foundation Grants Committee twice a year, in April and October.
- The Foundation may send a request for a Complete Proposal.
- If a Complete Proposal is requested, the organization is asked to submit a Complete Proposal within one month of the request.
- Complete Proposal is reviewed.
- If a Complete Proposal is accepted, the Foundation and grantee will craft and sign a Grant Agreement.
- As of spring 2018, we no longer review Letters of Inquiry on a rolling basis.
- A Letter of Inquiry must be submitted before a Complete Proposal is requested by the Foundation.
- We will respond to all Letters of Inquiry. However, we may not be able to provide reviewer comments on Letters of Inquiry that do not move forward. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
- A request for a Complete Proposal is not a guarantee of funding.
- If a grant is provided, the grantee will be required to complete interim and final reports summarizing and evaluating the project and budget expenditures.
Questions about our grant opportunities should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org