What others say
- “TRANSFER Download”, digital technologies and 3D artworks at the Thoma Foundation’s Art House in Santa Fe
ArtJaws by ArtJaws Editorial on June 27, 2018
- From Y2K to Tor: new show explores how artists make sense of the internet
The Art Newspaper by Jane Morris on June 27, 2018
- Thoma Foundation announces recipients of Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art
Art Daily by Art Daily News on June 18, 2018
- Interactive new media at Art House
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on June 15, 2018
- The "Emerging Media Arts" Are Being Celebrated This Month In Santa Fe
KSFR Santa Fe Public Radio by Tom Trowbridge on June 12, 2018
- A new way of seeing
Albuquerque Journal by Megan Bennett on June 8, 2018
- Absolute power: Currents New Media Festival 2018
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on June 8, 2018
- Art Movements
Hyperallergic by Tiernan Morgan on June 7, 2018
- Mary Flanagan and Dawn Chan Receive Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art
Artforum by Artforum News on June 7, 2018
- Thoma Foundation’s Digital Arts Writing Awards Go to Mary Flanagan and Dawn Chan
ARTnews by Alex Greenberger on June 6, 2018
- Futurition Santa Fe
THE Magazine by Lauren Tresp on June 1, 2018
- the art issue: art previews
Santa Fean by Lisa J. Van Sickle on May 31, 2018
- The Future of Everything
Santa Fe Reporter by Julia Goldberg on May 22, 2018
- Santa Fe: Come see Neal Stephenson, NASA's Pete Worden, Los Alamos's Nina Lanza, JPL's Sasha Samochina (and me!) at the Interplanetary Festival!
Boing Boing by Cory Doctorow on May 18, 2018
- Futurition Santa Fe Converges Art, Science & Technology in Boundary-breaking Festivals and Event Series
Digital Journal by Digital Journal News on May 8, 2018
- Hunter Museum's 'New Media, New Millennium' Exhibit Features Digital Art
WUTC by Will Davis on April 1, 2018
- Thoma: Meet an Art-Collecting Couple Committed to Visual Arts
Inside Philanthropy by Ade Adeniji on March 21, 2018
- the collector's issue: art previews
Santa Fean by Lisa J. Van Sickle on January 31, 2018
- New Works in Digital Art at Art House
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on December 1, 2017
- Thematic Installation Cyberbodies Addresses the Intersection of Digital Culture and the Body
Art Daily by Artdaily News on November 3, 2017
- "Baggage Claims" and "Virtual Views: Digital Art from the Thoma Foundation" open in Orlando
Art Daily by Artdaily News on September 20, 2017
- "A really arty family" champions its passions
Albuquerque Journal by Megan Bennett on September 8, 2017
- How to navigate our fantasies
Albuquerque Journal by Megan Bennett on August 11, 2017
- Collecting Digital Art: Highlights + New Acquisitions from the Thoma Foundation
THE Magazine by Diane Armitage on August 1, 2017
- Preserving old new media: Digital art from the Thoma Foundation
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on June 16, 2017
- Thoma Foundation Gives Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art to Rudolf Frieling, Ed Halter
ARTnews by Alex Greenberger on May 10, 2017
- Ed Halter and Rudolf Frieling Awarded $60,000 by Thoma Foundation
Artforum by Artforum News on May 10, 2017
- An Art "City Different": What Santa Fe Has to Offer
Huffington Post by Natalie Hegert on April 28, 2017
- The Future of Electronic Art Opens Up at KMA's New "Virtual Views" Exhibit
Knoxville Mercury by Denise Stewart-Sanabria on February 8, 2017
- Dr. Rosario I. Granados Named Associate Curator of Spanish Colonial Art at Blanton Museum
ARTnews by Alex Greenberger on November 30, 2016
- The Mission to Save Vanishing Internet Art
The New York Times by Frank Rose on October 21, 2016
- Rhizome Hires Aria Dean as Assistant Curator of Net Art
ARTnews by Maximilíano Durón on September 22, 2016
- Prominent artist's work to be on display at OSU
Stillwater News Press by Sean Hubbard on August 4, 2016
- Collecting: Carl & Marilynn Thoma
art ltd. by Nancy Zastudil on July 1, 2016
- Exhibit looks at who is running the show and plays with technology in the natural world
Albuquerque Journal by Jackie Jadrnak on June 17, 2016
- New-media works at Art House
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on June 17, 2016
- Currents: The Santa Fe International New Media Festival opens tonight
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on June 10, 2016
- Thoma Foundation Gives Arts Writing Awards In Digital Art To Christiane Paul And Nora Khan
ARTnews by Alex Greenberger on May 3, 2016
- Nora Khan and Christiane Paul Given Thoma Foundation’s Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art
Artforum by Artforum News on May 3, 2016
- Andean Art in the Spanish Empire
American Art Review by on February 1, 2016
American Art Review explores "A Voyage to South America" at the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Faces & places, Dec. 13, 2015
Santa Fe New Mexican by The New Mexican on December 12, 2015
The Carl and Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation has announced the winners of its new Arts Writing Scholarship competition for the New Mexico School for the Arts’ creative writing program.
- Blanton Museum exhibit focuses on South American colonial paintings
Austin 360 by Jeanne Claire van Ryzin on December 11, 2015
Just in time for the Dec. 12 celebration of Día de la Virgen de Guadalupe, the Blanton Museum of Art has opened the second phase of the exhibit “Re-envisioning the Virgin Mary: Colonial Paintings from South America.” On view are paintings from a distinguished collection of colonial South American art — the Marilynn and Carl Thoma Collection of Chicago.
- La Virgen María colonial de Sudamérica
¡Ahora Sí! by Liliana Valenzuela on December 10, 2015
Liliana Valenzuela examina la exposición "Re-envisioning the Virgin Mary: Colonial Painting from South America" en el Museo de Arte Blanton en Austin, TX.
- Heavy lifting brings sculpture to Art House
Albuquerque Journal by Jackie Jadrnak on October 6, 2015
It weighs three tons and looks something like a crumbling rubber tire. The massive “Aureole I,” a sculpture by Tom Joyce, is now in place in front of Art House at 231 Delgado St.
- Artist's 3-ton sculpture moved across Santa Fe
KOB 4 TV Albuquerque by on October 5, 2015
A Santa Fe artist has turned three tons of stainless steel into a large sculpture that went for a trip across the city Monday.
"This one has been heated in a forge, 2600 degrees, and the result is this charcoal-gray skin that develops on the outside of it," said the sculpture's artist, Tom Joyce. "It's still impervious to rust; it just doesn't look the same as stainless steel."
Joyce was first trained as a blacksmith, and he takes the skills he learned then and applies it to art.
The three-ton sculpture was scheduled to be installed Monday afternoon in the front garden by the Thoma Art Foundation at Art House.
- ‘The Red That Colored the World’ Review
The Wall Street Journal by Ann Landi on August 5, 2015
Ann Landi reviews "The Red the Colored the World" exhibition at the Museum of International Folk Art in Santa Fe.
- Algorithm and Hues: Digital Works at Art House
Pasatiempo by Michael Abatemarco on July 31, 2015
Art House seems to have broken gently upon the scene in Santa Fe since last year....The venue, devoted to exhibits featuring works from the art collection of Carl and Marilynn Thoma, is a homey, welcoming sort of gallery, like several you’ll find along nearby Canyon Road. It’s not particularly big, and in order to see a couple of the pieces in its current exhibition Luminous Flux 2.0, New and Historic Works From the Digital Art Frontier, visitors must thread their way through the kitchen. But the incongruity of the space and the works housed within it create their own kind of magic, and Luminous Flux 2.0 is full of surprises.
- Thoma Foundation Presents Digital Arts Showcase
KSFR Santa Fe Public Radio 101.1 FM by Sebastian Huerta on July 30, 2015
The Thoma Art Foundation has been serving the Santa Fe Art Community with the purpose of shifting perceptions, sparking creativity, and connecting people across cultures. One of the ways that The Thoma Foundation is currently doing this is by bringing rare digital art to their Santa Fe Gallery ART House on 231 Delgado St. KSFR’s Sebastian Huerta went to the Art House to meet with The Thoma Foundation's Associate Director, Mira Burack, to learn more about digital art.
- Podcast: Art House at the Thoma Foundation
ArtBeat by Kathryn Davis on July 23, 2015
In this ArtBeat podcast that aired live on Thursday, July 23rd, Mira Burack, Associate Director of the Thoma Foundation, discusses Luminous Flux 2.0, Art House, and the Thoma Foundation.
- Thoma Foundation – Chicago & Santa Fe
Independent Collectors by Anne Reimers on June 17, 2015
- Stanford's Cantor Arts Center announces major new acquisition of an early Edward Hopper painting
Art Daily by Staff on June 10, 2015
- Leonardo DiCaprio plans to give environmental work to LACMA
The Art Newsletter International Version by Charlotte Burns on June 9, 2015
Actor’s gift of Solar Reserve, last seen at Lincoln Center, is all about raising climate change awareness (Solar Reserve was commissioned by the Thoma Foundation.)
- Better red: the centuries-old appeal of cochineal
Santa Fe New Mexican, Pasatiempo by Anne Constable on May 15, 2015
The Foundation lent James Cordova’s bulto, Santa Cristina de Bolsena to this exhibition.
- Thoma Foundation Reveals First-Ever Digital Arts Writing Award Winners
Artforum by Artforum News on April 21, 2015
- Thoma Foundation Awards First-Ever ‘Digital Arts’ Writing Prize
ARTNews by Anna Heyward on April 21, 2015
- Inaugural Digital Arts Writing Awards recipients announced
The Space by Ben Murray on April 21, 2015
- Thoma Foundation Rewards Writers on the Digital Arts
Albuquerque Journal by By Jackie Jadrnak on April 21, 2015
- Paintings from Viceregal South America on display for first time at the Art Institute of Chicago
www.artdaily.org by on January 13, 2015
- ‘Luminous Flux’ exhibit features computer-driven art
Albuquerque Journal by Jackie Jadrnack on January 4, 2015
- Critic's pick of the top ten shows of 2014 From Malevich to Jeff Koons: Blake Gopnik chooses his highlights
The Art Newspaper by Blake Gopnik on December 22, 2014
Featuring Solar Reserve by John Gerrard, commissioned by the Thoma Foundation.
- Here Comes the Sun (Solar Reserve by John Gerrard was commissioned by the Thoma Foundation)
Art in America by Carol Becker on December 1, 2014
- In Flux: New gallery unveils hi-tech show
Santa Fe Reporter by Enrique Limón on September 24, 2014
- Thoma Foundation Presents Mouse in the Machine: Nature in the Age of Digital Art at Art House on June 10, 2016
- Thoma Foundation Announces Recipients of 2016 Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art on May 3, 2016
- 2016 Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art - Media Alert on March 30, 2016
- Thoma Foundation and School of Visual Arts Present "Better Words About Bits" in New York City on December 15, 2015
New York, NY – On Tuesday, December 15th the Carl & Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation and the School of Visual Arts present “Better Words About Bits,” a conversation on the important role of arts criticism about digital art and technology. Jon Ippolito and Joanne McNeil, the inaugural awardees of the Thoma Foundation Arts Writing Awards in Digital Art, join Christiane Paul, for this discussion at the School of Visual Arts.
- Thoma Foundation Announces Winners of New Arts Writing Scholarship Competition for New Mexico School for the Arts on December 3, 2015
Santa Fe, NM – The Carl & Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation announces today the winners of its new Arts Writing Scholarship competition for the New Mexico School for the Arts (NMSA) Senior Creative Writing program.
- Thoma Foundation Installs Colossal 3-Ton Tom Joyce Sculpture at Art House on October 5, 2015
Santa Fe, NM – On Monday, The Carl & Marilynn Thoma Art Foundation installed Aureole I, an immense forged stainless steel sculpture by artist Tom Joyce, in the front garden at Art House, the Foundation’s public art exhibition space at 231 Delgado Street. The massive 6,492-lb piece stands over six feet tall and six feet wide. Forged from industrial metal remnants, the sculpture’s skin-like, eroded surface references geologic forces of expansion and contraction.
- Inaugural Digital Arts Writing Awards Recipients Announced by the Thoma Foundation on April 21, 2015
- 2015 Arts Writing Fellowship Awards, Digital Arts - Media Alert on March 19, 2015
- Luminous Flux, the inaugural exhibition at Art House in Santa Fe on November 14, 2014